Level 1 Player (MT Novel) - Chapter 6
Chapter 6. The Awakening (Part 5)
It was 9:10 on the clock when I finally woke up. Except that instead of the usual dorm room, I was lying outside. There were some coins in front of me.
I couldn’t seem to fall asleep from the anticipation that overwhelmed me, so I went to the nearest branch of the Players Association. It wasn’t that far away, so I got there in just half an hour, well before the branch opened. I had to wait, and I accidentally fell asleep. I was actually very tired. I’d been working very hard the last few days, and I’d also been drinking potions that had drastically changed my body. If it wasn’t for the stamina potion, I probably wouldn’t even be able to crawl here.
– Do I really look like a tramp? – I was dumbfounded.
Some passersby, rushing to work, tossed me coins. I rose from my seat. I’m a Gambler. And not just any ordinary Player, but a unique one. Those Players who can’t overcome their fear of monsters live an ordinary life, getting 300,000 won* a day for black work.
(P.p.: About $270.)
– It doesn’t matter how bad you look.
Since I was a laborer, I was used to wearing shabby clothes. That’s probably why I looked like a hobo now. In fact, when I was at university, I was popular with girls. But now it was hard to maintain my attractiveness.
When I walked into the Association office, I tried to look as smart as possible, even though I was very nervous. Why do those younger than me act so much more confident?
– As soon as I get the money for the skill book, I have to buy some new clothes.
Yes, I also need to remember clothes for my mother and sister. And, in principle, I should finally tell them that I became a Player. I couldn’t help but imagine the look on their faces when they found out.
I walked over to the front desk. Unlike the other counters, there was no line here.
– What is your question? – I was asked by a pretty woman who looked about twenty.
– I came to register because I became a Player.
– Excuse me?
I was surprised at the sudden change in the expression of the employee’s face. I could clearly see the irritation on her face now.
– I’m sorry, are you that uncomfortable with my appearance? – For some reason I thought it was the clothes.
– Oh, I’m sorry. Grandfather, you say you passed the Awakening?
I got a little twisted. Grandpa? Do I look that bad? I’m a little over 26.
– I’m sorry, maybe you misunderstood me. People your age don’t become Players. Officially, the oldest woke man was 58 years old.
I was taken aback by those words. I couldn’t understand what she was talking about, because at first glance we were almost the same age.
– Do you really think I’m that old?
The expression on the girl’s face changed again. She was clearly sending “SOS” signals to her colleagues. After that, two boogeymen ran up to me.
– Grandpa, state your name, please. Do you remember how old you are?
For some reason I was not at all surprised. In the eyes of the staff, I looked like a feeble-minded old grandfather.
– I’m not even thirty, and you call me grandpa?
* * *
Join our discord for updates on releases! http://discord.com/invite/k4CcWXucg9
* * *
After I said that, the staff of the Association became even more serious.
– Call the Elderly Welfare Center right away. There is a man here with dementia.
The young employee nodded and immediately picked up the phone. I was taken aback by everything that was going on. We were even noticed by the Players, who were standing in line at the other counters.
– You look over 90, how could you wake up? You just can’t be 30.
– You have dementia…
– Isn’t there a cure for this disease now?
– Yes, but it’s a very expensive treatment. If you look at the appearance… Man, could you afford it? If you don’t have Players in your family, it’s almost impossible.
As they were talking, my legs buckled.
The boogeyman next to me rushed over and held me up. My eyes went blurry. When I looked at the next wall, I saw a mirror. I looked shabby, and my face was riddled with wrinkles. My hair was gray. When I looked in the mirror, I really saw a 90-year-old gray-haired old man.
– What the hell is this!?
I was frightened, and so was the old man in the mirror. I started shaking. Only after that did fear and despair come over me in a way I had never experienced before. My hands lost their luster and blush. I looked at my muscles-now there was nothing to be jealous of. The skin on my hands could only be compared to the bark of an old tree.
– Grandpa, are you feeling okay?
I was no longer listening to what the boogeyman, who had been supporting me the whole time, was saying. 2 billion points. It wasn’t just monetary capital for Players with a unique skill set. Nothing in this world came for free. I knew that better than anyone. I just didn’t have time to think about it. As soon as I looked at the number of points, I immediately thought of my sick father and my suffering mother and sister. Why 2 billion points and not 200 million or 20 billion? What had I done that I had been given that amount of money? The answer was obvious.
I opened the characteristics window, went to the sales window, and checked my points. The 50 million I had been saving had dropped to 49.9. The points were literally melting away with every second.
– 2 billion seconds.
My mind went blank. I took out my phone and began to calculate. It turns out that 2 billion seconds is about 63 years. Then 49.9 million seconds was even less than a year and a half.
– The number of points was the length of my life.
Now I understand the true meaning of the points. 2 billion. That was my whole life. And I used most of it without any fear. As a result, my young body turned into the body of a 90-year-old old man.
My strength finally left me, and I collapsed on the floor. The bouncer, who had been standing with me the whole time, immediately called 911.