Level 1 Player (MT Novel) - Chapter 51
Chapter 51 – Conviction (Part 1)
When the news of my death broke in all the media, my mother lost consciousness, and when she came to, she couldn’t calm down and cried for days.
– The real trouble came later.
As soon as the mother regained her composure a little, the fines for the rental of the outfit and the contractual penalties became known.
And here I couldn’t get a word in edgewise.
It was the same as spilling gasoline in a house that was already on fire. They had no idea this could happen. Hyun-ji was the first to hear about it and tried to protest dozens of times, but all she heard back was, “Deny compensation and all that. The legal system is powerless in these matters.” Sure enough, Hyun-ji consulted a lawyer and the lawyer recommended that she give up everything.
– If you refuse, you need to move out.
The house where mother and sister lived was rented by me, so if they refused the inheritance, they would have to leave it. Of course, if my mother and sister had given up everything, great economic hardship could have been avoided, for by becoming a Player I had sent my mother part of my advance, on which she and my sister had existed for the last time.
– I was furious! I thought the money you had transferred to your mother was illegal, since they had decided to take it away, so I demanded a return of legally legal compensation on full grounds.
I gritted my teeth. For better or worse, my folks would simply have nothing left.
– Of course it all worked out. A person named Shin Yoon Ah came to us, kneeling and apologizing for allegedly making a mistake. I don’t think that’s what really happened.
It couldn’t have been a mistake.
– I’ll look into that precedent.
– Mom asked me not to tell you, so I kept quiet all this time. But I see you’re back to normal, so I decided to tell you the truth.
– And thank you for that, Hyun-ji.
My sister didn’t say anything in response, she just walked out of the room in silence.
I decided to pay a visit to the headquarters of the Players Association, wanting to find out who and why was trying to take everything away from my family. I walked over to one of the desks.
– I’d like to meet with Commander Shin Yoon Ah, a meeting has been arranged.
– You are too early. She hasn’t returned yet…
She’s not here. Although what can I say, I came an hour before the appointed time.
– Then if you could take me to the commander’s office, she said I could wait for her there.
– Yeah? All right, come on in.
I followed the staff member straight to Shin Young Ah’s office.
– Would you like a cup of tea?
– No, thank you.
– Then I’ll get back to work.
After the employee left, I was all alone.
“How neat and tidy the place is,” I thought after a thorough inspection of the office and opened the status window to look at my newly acquired skills. – Psychometrics.”
It’s a heroic skill that allows you to not only see but also hear everything that was going on around you. Of course, this skill will not help in the battlefield in any way, but in life it is very useful.
“Search by keyword Choi Hyun Seong.”
That’s how easy the “Psychometrics” skill worked. In front of me appeared all the frames from the news and articles where my name was mentioned. I decided to start with the older entries. And the first thing that came before my eyes was the moment when Shin Yoon Ah first learned of my death. Her digital image looked so sad. I was grateful to her that at least someone other than my family was mourning me. After that, Shin Yoon Ah’s hologram spoke to someone.
– What the hell is going on? Why did you do this to Choi Hyun Seong’s family? – Shin Yoon Ah asked angrily.
– It’s all written in the bylaws. I’m doing my job according to regulations, Commander,” said the man behind the scenes with a frankly unpleasant voice.
– Cancel your order now!
– That doesn’t concern you, Shin Yun Ah.
– So this is what we do to the Players who gave their lives for the country?
– I don’t like it myself, but those are the rules.
The argument went on for a while.
– And if I die in battle, will you do the same? If you don’t rescind your order, I’ll leave the Players’ Association.
– This is a direct breach of contract.
– Does the world community recognize such an abnormal contract?
– Going against me and the Korean government?!
– Ugh, we got so nervous… I’ll call you later.
That was the end of the phone call.
– What a bastard! – Shin Yoon Ah cursed as she hung up the phone.
That was the end of the first holographic video message.
“She’s a noble person.”
I had no idea that Shin Yoon Ah had done so much for me. Besides, she had turned the government against her and threatened to terminate her contract…
* * *
Join our discord for updates on releases! http://discord.com/invite/k4CcWXucg9
* * *
Even though I had only seen the commander a few times, I had an idea of what kind of person Shin Yun Ah was. She was not the kind of person who would complain. If the government hadn’t changed its mind, I don’t know if Shin Yoon Ah could have actually broken her contract with the Association.
I decided to take a look at the next entry. There was nothing special about that holographic message, but I was able to find out who was behind it all. In that holographic clip, I saw the person that Shin Yoon Ah had spoken to earlier on the phone.
“Minister Lee Han Gu.”
Turns out there was a minister all along. I ran him through the Internet on my smartphone. It didn’t take long for the answer to come back. Lee Han Gu is the minister of spatial gate control. In turn, the ministry is divided into two sub-ministries, one of which deals with gates and the other with Players. Unofficially, the Players Association is an institution under this ministry.
The Ministry of Spatial Gate Management is a relatively new ministry, created after the cataclysm. Among all the institutions, they are the ones with the highest power.
“The Ministry of Spatial Gate Management…”
If I look at one of the holograms with the ministry, I am bound to learn something new. Even though there are still people like Shin Yun Ah in the Players’ Association, this institution is rotten to the core.
Thoughts swirled in my head that I wanted to turn his soul inside out and make his reputation shake.
There was a creaking sound and the door to the office opened.
– Have you been waiting long?
– No, no. I just happened to be early,” I answered, shaking my head.
– Tell me, what brings you here so suddenly? – Shin Yoon Ah asked.
Of course she’s wondering why someone who only does hunting would suddenly show up at the Association.
– I guess I came to terminate the contract.
– Why… Why all of a sudden? – Shin Yoon Ah asked harshly.
– I know about what Minister Lee Han Gu did.
– I apologize,” the commander said hastily.
– No, I need your apology, Shin Yun Ah. I know that you are the one who has done a lot for me and my family. And I’m grateful to you for that.
– Then why not turn a blind eye to this incident and just continue working? I’ll be sure to get the bylaws and rules changed so it doesn’t happen again.
– Of course you can do that. It’s just that beyond that, I have another reason.
– Go ahead. Anything.
– I want to hear Minister Lee Han Gu’s apology in person.
– I want the Minister to repent for what he has done. And that’s all I want right now.
As soon as I said that, Shin Yoon Ah was all red in the face.
– You shameless bastard! – Li Han Gu, who was enraged and sat down at his workplace, wailed. – How much power would the officials have if they had special skills?
The tension reigned, and the minister’s aides all shrank back into their chairs.
– I am definitely doing something wrong! Am I right or am I wrong? – The minister went on.
– It’s as if he was born yesterday.
– He seems to be completely stupid.
– You have done your job according to all the rules.
The expression on Lee Han Gu’s face didn’t change one bit from all those words.
– Oh my gosh! Yes, you’re absolutely right! I was just doing my job! And why on earth would I apologize to this ‘green guy’?
– That’s right. You’ve been generous, and he doesn’t see your mercy and has the nerve to be insolent. He must be taught a lesson!
– Yes, yes, that’s right. How do you propose to do that?
At these words the face of the man who proposed the idea turned yellow.
– It’s… Well, maybe…
– Come on, come on, I’m waiting for your suggestions.
All the assistants were silent.
– How shallow you all are! Shut up!
– Excuse me, Minister!
All the assistants bowed their heads at once.
– Ha!” exhaled Lee Han Gu.
Shin Young Ah and that impertinent little brat were threatening him, saying that if he didn’t apologize, things could get even worse. But the minister is no fool. Like a viper, he knew everything ahead of time. Besides, no compensation was demanded from him, only a sincere apology. In any case, the government benefited from the situation of extending the contract with special skill bearer Choi Hyun Seong.
From the authorities’ point of view, Hyun Seong’s demand was harmless. The only problem was Lee Han-gu’s pride, which he needs to transcend. Lee Han-gu is the minister of spatial gate management, and all guilds or top-rankers counted with his opinion. Is it worth apologizing to someone who has “just been born”? Yes, it would not only damage his self-esteem, but also embarrass him.
– Tell him to come here.
– I have to go to his house to apologize? I’m too busy! If he wants an apology, let him come himself!
– All right, I’ll tell him! – said the assistant and hurried away.
“I’m not going to run after him…”
That was the last straw. If Choi Hyun Seong refused, then at least he had done something to meet his demands.