Level 1 Player (MT Novel) - Chapter 40
Chapter 40 – The First troublemaker
– It must have been very hard for you.
– Right now my father is in the hospital because of his declining health. To tell you the truth, my family had to work hard to pay the hospital bills.
After the situation was cleared up, conversations in this group became easier for me. I wonder if the wall of alienation that stood between me and my co-workers has disappeared.
– In fact, there was an unofficial order from above for me to take you with me to the field trip.
– Really? – I asked in surprise.
– Yes, that’s why we thought you were the son of someone at the top.
“Yeah, that’s a simple misunderstanding…”
In this whole aloofness situation, the reason was because of the rare level equipment.
– It was all the merit of Shin Yun Ah.
– Are you familiar with the head of the department? – So Tae Chul wondered.
– Yes. She’s my mentor.
– Wow, you’re really something to look forward to since the department head took you under her wing.
Hearing Shin Yun Ah’s name, a smile appeared on the faces of the entire team.
“She seems to have a lot of trust in her subordinates.”
We went on to talk about the head of the department. I wonder how much time passed while we were talking? Gradually the colleagues began to disperse to their sleeping places.
“Before I go to bed, I’ll fill in the empty positions in the sales window first…”
I got up from my seat and went to the restroom.
– Hyun Seong…! – someone said my name in a whisper.
I turned around and saw Lee Soo Young.
– I’m sorry,” the girl said and made a curt bow again.
– Hmm? – I gave out cautiously and with embarrassment.
The girl had already thanked me, so why is she apologizing now?
– I underestimated you and acted wrongly, so I apologize to you.
– What are you talking about anyway?
In response to my question, Lee Soo Young started apologizing again and then briefly outlined the situation. Or rather, she told me about the unofficial order from above, the equipment of a rare level, the young appearance and the high level. The son of one of the leaders of the Players’ Association was lucky enough to be Reawakened, then raised his own level with the help of high-level Players and now came here to train.
– I’m sorry,” Lee Soo-young said after explaining herself and leaning in at a ninety degree angle for the umpteenth time.
– It’s no big deal. But even if there’s such a wrong opinion about me, it’s all wrong. I hope this man didn’t hurt you?
– No. I’ve met him before, and I’ve had an opinion of him since that meeting.
– Did something happen? – I asked the girl.
As it turned out, this rich son made a lot of noise, which resulted in the higher-ups who were responsible for the incident, got away with it, and the staff of the Association were badly screwed.
– We went on a mission together. I think you could have warned me about everything…
– I know, that’s why I apologize now. To be honest, it wasn’t my biggest mistake.
Now that everything has fallen into place, a heavy weight was lifted from the girl’s shoulders. But I tried not to pay attention to her. I perceived her as a harsh and rude colleague and nothing else.
– Thank you,” the girl said and bent again in a ninety-degree bow.
“Hmm, she’s actually quite sweet and kind.”
Perhaps she realized that her words might cause me heartache, so she decided to show herself more open.
– Can I ask you one question? If you don’t want to talk about it, that’s okay, I won’t be offended.
– Ask me anything you want.
Actually, I didn’t ask a question; instead, I decided to start with a definite answer.
“Let’s pretend to be a simpleton.”
From Lee Sooyoung’s behavior, I assumed that she was a very trusting person.
– The question will probably seem complicated… My question is about your skills.
– I assumed that’s what you would ask. In fact, I’ve been asked many times before, so I have no problem answering. My skill…
I only wanted to hear one word, but I got a whole stream in response. I ended up learning that her transformation ability is called “Therianthropy*,” an active skill that when used to transform into a snow leopard, her strength, agility, and endurance scores increase significantly.
(P.p.: Therianthropy is a mythical human ability to transform into an animal, werewolfism.)
* * *
Join our discord for updates on releases! http://discord.com/invite/k4CcWXucg9
* * *
Due to the high attack power and high defense ability, this skill is good for tanks and DDs. But it also has its disadvantages, in particular, it concerns magic and willpower. The low willpower makes the Therianthropy skill holder vulnerable to magical attacks.
“It’s probably worth learning more about it.
– And if you use this skill, the transformation process takes longer?
The girl’s body suddenly transformed. Of course, she probably went through fire, water and brass pipes, there were plenty of uncomfortable moments in her life, so she could transform at any place and at any time.
– No. The first time, I didn’t even want to use it. One thing I can say for sure, the tail moves on its own. And as for the “animal” instincts during battles… Hmm, well, the body moves by itself, I didn’t learn any fighting techniques.
– Thanks for telling me all about it.
– It’s not a big deal,” Lee Soo Young said with a smile.
– I’ll be right back,” I said politely, and nodded my head and went to the restroom.
The girl, in turn, smiled and went back to the others.
“I think when I activate the Heart of the Werewolf King it won’t take me long to adapt to my new body.
The end result will be different, but the principle of action with Therianthropy is very similar.
“True, I won’t be able to use the skill for more than sixty minutes. And if it takes a long time to adapt, it will create a number of problems.”
I refilled the empty positions in the buy window with a blissful smile. Good thing I was able to learn new and useful information for myself.
Sleeping in one of the branches of the Players Association wasn’t all that comfortable. But on the other hand, I wouldn’t say sleeping in the workplace was that uncomfortable. No, I’m not complaining. If I could make money while I slept, I’d put up with all the inconvenience!
“Eh, there’s nothing going on.”
Even though we had a lot to do on the first day of work, everything was quiet after that incident. Not a single request for an outing. Although I wouldn’t have minded going out and making an extra penny. Maybe it was also the fact that unlike my colleagues, who couldn’t get rocks and items while working, I could do it.
“Fieldwork isn’t so bad.”
During the field trip, I could encounter powerful new monsters. Since it is by fighting such creatures that I could get interesting items.
Monsters that don’t match the level of the dungeon have some kind of zest, personality, so you can get something special when killing such individuals. However, the probability of such a “gift” is very small. That’s why high-level Players do it, for the sake of everyone’s safety. Of course, in this situation, no items are out of the question. But I’m different. By killing monsters like that, I can get things. Therefore, the probability of getting something of real value increases significantly.
“Sales of batteries for electrical appliances have increased…”
Although sales were minimal at first, sales have now increased significantly.
“Eh, I wish I could get another heroic level skill!”
Heroic level skills are the best at the moment. I’d even say, better one heroic level skill than ten rare ones.
I looked at my score and smiled. To my surprise, their number, most of which I managed to get while hunting and working, passed the six billion mark. In addition, with the bonus in the Association and the profits from the sale of the stones, I had acquired one simple level skill and one rare one, as a result, I was now seven steps closer to my goal of becoming stronger.
“If I want to increase my points, I should go hunting.”
So I went to the dungeon without thinking long. Now, as before, I did not have to hide and hide. Seeing my ID card, the staff at the entrance are only surprised and no longer ask any questions. I stepped inside with a clear conscience and started shredding everyone left and right.
“Firestorm,” I activated the skill, killing all the monsters in the vicinity in one fell swoop. – I’m a cheater…”
Firestorm was a rare level skill that I bought with all my cash, and it had a good effect. For mid-level dungeons this skill might be useless, but for low-level dungeons it’s just right.
I destroyed a huge number of monsters at a time, so it was easy to move to another location. And after that, I witnessed something new. I instinctively stretched out my arm, but before I could think of anything, my rare level shield was sliced like a piece of paper! It was something that tore my shield apart, going through the tissues and muscles of my arm.
– Aghr! – I shrieked.
The part of my left arm with which I was holding the shield was pierced with a savage pain, as if my muscles had cracked at the seams.
– Oh, what beautiful sounds…” came a low voice.
– Who are you?” I asked in surprise.
In front of me stood a middle-aged man in a rented outfit. The only problem was that I didn’t know the man at all.
– You don’t know who I am? Well, it can’t be helped then…” the man smiled.
The stranger brushed my blood on the ground from the sword. As I could see, the sword in the hands of the middle-aged man was from the same equipment as all the armor on it. The only thing I could note was a simple sword and a rare level shield.
– Who are you?” I asked again.
– Are you that curious to know who I am? Well, on the other hand, the victim should know by whose hand he will die, right? I’m Jung Sung Woo. I was even Deputy of the Sow Guild a while ago…” The man replied with a smile.
– How did you…?
– Just use your brain. I’m the only one who has the right to take revenge on you for everything you’ve done.
It was inexplicable. What kind of revenge are we talking about when a man gets what he deserves?
– You seem a little too calm for someone who would do something like that,” I said, raising my voice.
– Barking louder won’t solve your problem. I’ve got it all planned out beforehand. Besides, look at me! Do I look like a high level Gambler? I’m more of a rookie who’s not even close to level fifty!
– You forged your Player ID?
– Oh, that’s not good, is it? But you don’t have to worry about that, because today I’m leaving this country… I’m thinking of changing my name and going abroad. In fact, at first I wanted to start with your family so you could feel the pain of loss, but then I still decided that was too easy.
– I even considered doing away with your family through my guards. But if I did that I wouldn’t be able to leave the country. So I targeted you as soon as you entered the dungeon. If I hide your body well, you’ll be discovered, well, give or take a few days. Oh, you have a good wound recovery rate! I must have picked up the skills well.
While we were having a nice conversation, the wounds inflicted by this gentleman had almost completely healed. And a lot of that was thanks to Immortality.
– Well, now I know how long it takes you to recover. But you… You wouldn’t be able to compete with me if you were seriously injured, right? – Jung Sung Woo said and pointed his sword at me.