Level 1 Player (MT Novel) - Chapter 4
Chapter 4. The Awakening (Part 3)
Everyone received their starting characteristics immediately upon awakening. You could even call them “innate. Characteristics could be increased in only two ways. The first is to learn special active or passive skills, which will allow to increase the characteristics. The second was to perform certain tasks. This was known to everyone, and everyone believed it. But in fact it was not quite so. Plus…
– Oh, something cheap!
[Characteristic Potion (weak)]
[Characteristic Boost by 1]
[Invalid for Players whose attribute is 100.]
[Method of Use: Drink]
– A potion that only gives one characteristic unit, and is probably cheap.
[Price: 4,999,999 points]
– Oh,” I burst out.
It even made me laugh to see a figure of less than a hundred million. However, the price of this potion was not too different from the more useful items.
– Should I buy it or not?
However, I immediately put it out of my mind. The potion was not suitable for those with characteristics above 100 units, which meant that it could only be sold to Low Level Players. Though I had absolutely no idea how much they had in their pockets. Even if rich, low-level Players bought it, you still had to sell it in large quantities, not by the piece. Except it was very dangerous to do so.
Is it possible to sell an item that no one knew existed until now? Then I wouldn’t be able to keep my special skill a secret. Besides, after that I could always be found by stronger Players and just take away the potions.
It’s better to sell one high level skill item or book than a lot of small and not very necessary ones. I liked this layout better: find a low-level monster, kill it, and as if to get an item or skill book.
“I need more points to buy an inhibitor for my father, and so my mother and sister don’t need anything. So I need to buy something worth 500 to 600 million points.”
However, I didn’t think I would find such a potion.
– If I bought it, I could increase my miserable stats to 50 in total, like normal Players.
Normally, Players at 90-100 levels would gain a total of about 500 stats. I now wanted to gain the same amount while at first level. To score 100 characteristics for each type, I needed 2,409,999,518 points. Just over 2.4 billion. Even if I spent all the points I had, I wouldn’t be able to score 500. It was just impossible.
– I couldn’t level up without buying at least some potions.
Besides, the most important thing was that it didn’t work on Players who had stats above 100.
– Maybe I could raise my stats to the max with the potions, and then get some bonus points for raising levels?
Would I have enough for a skill book if I increased my stats with potions? Then I might even be able to surpass Kim Hana, who took special courses and wielded Mecha.
– To become a member of a major guild, you have to pay a decent amount of money.
In theory, I could score points this way: catch a monster in the real world, earn money, and spend that money on a skill book or valuable item, and then sell it through the store for points.
– It would take a long time, but at least I could buy a lot of potions,” a smile spread across my face. I finally found a solution.
It was stupid to use all 2 billion points just to sell items for real money. But I found a way to make a steady profit using all those points. It seems I could have gotten stronger. If I became a Player who would make a few tens, no, a few hundred million, my family would have a much easier life. My heart clenched.
– The hard time seemed to be over.
I was living like a cyborg, working every day without a glimmer of hope. And it wasn’t just me, it was my whole family. But…
– I woke up. Besides, I could become the strongest and the fastest through a special skill I had never heard of before. I will be the strongest Player. I can be a tank, a healer, and a DD. I’ll also be the biggest cheater,” I smiled again. – Okay, now we need to decide on a strategy.
So, right now I had 2 billion points. There was no way I could increase them now, but I could buy and sell items. Besides, I should have kept at least some points just in case.
– I could just save the bonus stats from leveling up.
* * *
Join our discord for updates on releases! http://discord.com/invite/k4CcWXucg9
* * *
I could use them after I raised the performance level to the maximum 100 with the potion.
– Wait a minute,” I opened the information on the potion again.
[Characteristics Potion (weak) ]
– It’s low-level, so it only works up to 100,” I goggled and reopened the buy tab. If there are potions of the weakest action, then there must be medium and strong ones. I was overcome with a desire to increase characteristics, so I went back to the buy/sell tab.
[Characteristic Potion (Rare)]
[Characteristic Boost by 1].
[Invalid for Players with Attribute 100] [Method of Use: Drink].
[Method of Use: Drink]
[Price: 9,999,999 points]
– Twice the price!
I needed 10 million points to raise the stats by at least one. If you have a lot of points, you don’t know if you should buy something now or look for more. I didn’t even have enough points to buy a set of the weakest potions. Was it worth it to worry about the cost of the ones that were even more expensive?
I didn’t have much reason to worry until I’d gained at least 100 characteristic units. I had to decide on a direction of development. Tank? Range-DD? Mile-DD? Healer?
Each Player had a different skill set. If I had more points, I would have raised all the stats to 100 immediately with weak potions. But I couldn’t afford it now.
– I have to be very careful when hunting, because the dungeons where the monsters live are very dangerous. One is often found dead there. Right now, safety is the priority.
If I die, my family will lose hope for a bright future. Choose a tank? At first glance, it seemed like the safest class of Players, but it wasn’t. Mile-DDs are good on offense, but on the front lines they are often the main monster target. The risks are correspondingly higher. A ranged DD or healer is safer, but can’t handle in a crisis situation.
– Then there is nothing to do but become both a tank and a DD at the same time. Of course, you’ll have to spend a lot of money.
You can combine a tank with a DD. The first and most important characteristic would be strength.
– If I had 100 strength… How much should I spend to pump it up?
I decided to do the math. Huh. I got 1,439,999,712 points.
– That seems about right.
But I decided to lower the bar to 70. 989,999,802 points.
– But I’m going to need more magic and willpower. I’d have to invest in those as well.
Magic determined skill strength and mana reserve. Willpower increased the probability of successfully using a skill, increased its cooldown, and increased its resilience.
– And if I could raise each of those characteristics to 30…
For that, I needed 269,999,946 points. That’s a total of 1,259,999,748 points. I had to spend more than half of my points. I also needed to buy and sell at least one item or skill book for money. If I bought all of that, I would have 100-200 million points left. I had to spend them wisely. Now I have 2 billion points. I didn’t know where I got that amount. But it was better to have something than nothing at all.
Greed overwhelmed me again. It would be great if I had not 2 billion, but 20 or even 200 billion points. Greed was getting deeper and deeper into my soul.
– 2 billion is also a lot of money.
On the one hand I would increase the number of points. On the other hand, I will make money. If I use the points this way, I could become a strong Player, and even heal my father one day.
– At first I thought I was out of luck. But I wasn’t. I’m just lucky.
Up until this point, I had never heard of special skills. Even on the Players’ Forum there was no information about them. I was probably the only one who had one. My heart was pounding frantically. I decided to start with the basics and clicked on the potions icon.
[Do you want to buy a Characteristic Potion (weak)?
[The item you bought can always be exchanged or refunded.]
“YES,” my fingers trembled.
[You have purchased a Characteristic Potion (weak)]
And it began.
[You have purchased a Characteristic Potion (weak).
[You have acquired a Characteristic Potion (weak).
[You have acquired a Characteristic Potion (weak)] [You have acquired a Characteristic Potion (weak)].
After I purchased it, my number of points decreased drastically.
After a while, vials appeared in front of me. They were real. First, I picked up a vial of a potion that weakly increased strength.
The translucent red vial looked more like a gem than a potion.
– Could it really be drunk? – I had my doubts. I turned the vial in my hands and examined it carefully. It said the method of consumption was “to drink. I took the vial to my lips and took a sip. As soon as the potion was in my mouth, it melted, and a strange moan escaped my lips.