Level 1 Player (MT Novel) - Chapter 36
Chapter 36 – The Players’ Association (Part 3)
– While your outfit is being prepared I can tell you all about the Association. While we’re at it, let’s talk about exactly where you were assigned.
So, placement. I have a lot to learn and a lot to get used to during my two years in the Players’ Association.
“And in those two years I have to make the most of it all!”
Or to be more precise, I planned to use the Association as a kind of “shield.”
– So where would I be assigned?
– To the investigation department. Your job will be to resolve incidents in dungeons or conflicts between Players. The Investigations Department is short-handed, so we’re hoping you can fix that.
– And you’re sure I can handle it? I don’t know about low level dungeons, but I think in higher level dungeons it would be hard enough for me to handle the situation.
– Don’t worry, we’ll ask you to give you tasks according to your level.
– Alright then.
I assumed that’s what the Association would do.
– Also, feel free to contact me if you have any problems.
– I will. Then can I discuss with you a problem that arose before the contract was signed, right now?
– Yes, of course. Go ahead.
– Somehow the Sou Guild representatives got hold of the stones I received and the profit from their sales… besides, they knew my whereabouts as well.
– I’ll try to find out more about the incident. We can put a lot of pressure on the Sow Guild as a kind of “punishment.
– You’re not kidding? Don’t the Players Association and guilds live in “peace and harmony”?
Shin Yoon Ah only nodded in response to my question.
– This guild is a hardened evil. I’m ready to exterminate all the members of this guild right this moment, but unfortunately, I’m powerless right now. I confronted them once, but they got away with it for lack of evidence.
Shin Yoon Ah is truly amazing. Even though I signed a contract with the Association, it will be for two years. It really shouldn’t have been told everywhere, but Shin Yoon Ah turned out to be a very honest person, even though it might have a negative impact on the organization later on.
“She’s really great…”
A few days ago, I thought the Players Association was a rotten organization, but that’s not the case.
– We will also provide you with a place to stay, Hyun Seong.
– Yes, but it’s a little different from my nomadic ways, I’m used to moving from place to place a lot. I don’t think I need a permanent place to live.
– Yeah? It’s going to be a little difficult…
– You mean because of unscheduled work?
– That’s right. We’re constantly forming squads, so it might be a little difficult,” Shin Yoon Ah said. – In that case, let me know every time you move, so I can assign you to the nearest Association office. Oh, and while we’re at it, we’ll give you a card you can use to pay for your lodging.
– Is that allowed?
– Of course not. If the other members of the Association found out about this, it would certainly cause a stir, because you are treated as a special person. So let’s keep it a secret, shall we? Officially, you’ll just be changing your workplace.
– Thank you very much.
– It will be like this for two years until you renew your contract,” Shin Yoon Ah said and smiled.
The girl explained and showed me how the Association was set up, its structure, the location of the other branches, and introduced me to the list of positions. And while I walked around absorbing all this information, the fitting of my outfit was completed.
– Wow, it fits! – I said as I tried on my new gear.
Compared to the gear I’d rented, this was a rare level and fit just right, like a “second skin.”
– Take this too,” Shin Yoon Ah said as she handed me my Player’s Registration Card. – This certificate proves that you are a member of the Gamblers’ Association. Since you have full authority to regulate the situation in the dungeons, you should no longer be uncomfortable as you were before.
I am very glad for such support.
Shin Yoon Ah has finished explaining all the important information to me, let’s wrap up the tour with a few important points.
– Can I go now?
– Yes. I think it won’t be too much trouble for you to keep an eye on the time in case you are called in for unscheduled work. You don’t have to worry, emergencies rarely arise. But if they do occur, you must respond immediately!
– Okay. May I ask when the money will be in the account?
– The money has already been transferred, because the advance is one of the clauses without which the contract cannot take effect. So you can start spending it from now on.
– I think you can buy yourself a couple of skill books.
– That’s a good choice. By the way, there’s a skill book store on the grounds of the Association! Let me show you,” said the girl.
“Hmm, and she understands me very well.”
* * *
Join our discord for updates on releases! http://discord.com/invite/k4CcWXucg9
* * *
The advance was twenty billion, so I planned to spend it all on buying skill books. I’m not sure how much money I get for hunting, anyway, but it allows me and my family to live comfortably.
– Not much more than I expected,” I noted sadly.
For the most part, the store was filled with the usual skill books. There weren’t many rare ones, and none of the heroic ones.
– Skill books don’t come up that often. In addition, demand is greater than supply, so the newly appeared “novelties” bought up instantly. Compared to the official trading house, the Association store is quite small.
– Let’s see what’s here, for starters,” I said and pushed the button.
“Not a bad tax avoidance…”
Excluding taxes, the cost of the skill books was minimal. Their price could be compared to the prices at discount stores, so I decided to buy up everything I hadn’t already studied.
– Is it okay that you bought so many books? It won’t make much difference to your overall performance, will it?
Stamina – tank, Strength – warrior, Dexterity – archer or assassin, Magic – mage, Willpower – hitter. Each skill is important for a certain role. However, they are always insufficient, so you need to invest more effort, patience and time to improve or acquire them. Of course, when it comes to efficiency, it’s better not to buy everything, but to focus on buying a certain, central skill.
– These are very useful skills,” I replied with a smile.
I didn’t pay much attention to the effectiveness of skills of the same level, since any one of them can have an effect on the wearer.
– I guess you’re not the kind of person who saves money, Hyun Seong. In any case, active skills are good at increasing efficiency, and passive skills are automatically activated. Also, among the active skills are those that cannot be used on a regular basis.
– Yeah, thanks for the advice.
So, I bought up enough skills. And since most of them were the most common, I didn’t spend that much money. And right after I bought them, I studied them.
– Have you finished yet?
– In that case, all important business is over for today.
– Thank you for the tour and the advice. I’d better be going.
– I’ll walk you out. I’ll show you on the way where our means of transportation are.
The car is another good bonus.
We left the Players’ Association together. As it turned out, I had been assigned a large domestically made sedan.
– The car is insured, use it at your pleasure. If you decide to replace the car of the Association on your own, be sure to tell me. You will be charged a small amount of money when you return the car.
– I like this one too, – I smiled and took the car keys.
– Be careful.
– Okay. See you later!
After all the formalities, I finally rolled out of the Association.
– Come to think of it, two years is quite a short time,” the middle-aged red-haired man said, stroking his beard.
– Are you upset that we weren’t able to sign a lifetime contract with him? – Shin Yun Ah asked.
– Of course I’m upset. We had to do it.
– We were also thinking about the money.
– That’s not true! – The man raised his voice. – We gave you the best conditions, too. A lifetime contract! You think it’s only about the money?
– Of course it is. Because if I hadn’t insisted, you wouldn’t have given me better terms. Besides, if I had, I would have done exactly what Choi Hyun Seong did…
– Do you think you’re the same as Choi Hyun Seong? For us as an organization and for you, this is all happening for the first time. If it weren’t for you, we wouldn’t have known about the special skill.
– Then we should have organized it better.
– It’s great as it is! We made concessions with the contract for Hyun Seong, just like you wanted! If you don’t interfere, the amount of the lifetime contract advance will be a hundred billion!
– Even so, the information might leak out and fall into the hands of guilds or Players Associations in other countries…
– Are you threatening me? Passing information to foreign Players’ Associations?!
– What are you talking about? All I’m saying is that there’s a good chance that information will be leaked.
– You know me.
– If I know you that well, you must have some idea what I’m thinking, don’t you?
– No, I don’t.
– You do care. I want to change my contract to two years, too.
– That’s impossible. If you hadn’t objected to me, Choi Hyun Seong would have signed a contract for life.
– That bastard…
Shin Yoon Ah’s face contorted into a grimace.
– Do you think you’re better than me? Everything that isn’t done is done for me. I don’t think the idea of making Hyun Seong sign a lifetime contract is so bad.
– You think too highly of yourself.
– Oh, what have I done wrong in my past life since fate brought me together with you?
– If you were so reluctant to mess with me, then cancel my contract…!
– No way!
– Shit!” Shin Yun Ah clucked her tongue and got up from her seat.
– Where are you going?
– To work,” the girl said and walked out of the Association Chairman’s office.
“Hyun Seong shouldn’t have to suffer like I did.”
The girl had suffered a lot when she was still a low-level Player. So when she became Hyun Seong’s mentor, she didn’t want the guy to go through all the things she had gone through in her time. She didn’t want to stoop to the level of those who insulted her. Of course, even so, there might be situations that would make her nervous. And even if you don’t focus on that, the girl will still worry about it.
When I left the Players Association, the first thing I did was transfer money to my mother’s account. It should help her not worry about covering my father’s hospital expenses for the next ten years. Afterwards, I headed to the official trading house to stock up on more skill books. In particular, I was most interested in the skills that allowed me to repair wounds, which I could not buy in the presence of Shin Yun Ah.
“Well, let’s try to improve the Immortality skill.
If I purchase a large number of skill books that restore wounds, I will greatly pump up the “voracious” Immortality.
“Let’s see how many books I need to improve…”
I seriously considered pumping up this skill, even if I had to spend my entire advance on it.
After arriving at my destination, I immediately started looking for the wound repair books.
“Wow!” – “Wow!” came to my mind when I came across a fascinating copy.
[Natural Restoration (Rare)
Passive ability: an ability that allows you to heal wounds.
I didn’t think I could find anything worthwhile in this place. But the value of this book of skills exceeded all my expectations.
“I have to buy it no matter what!”
Although Immortality was a uniquely rare book, it was still a rare level skill. I suppose that by absorbing rare level skills, progress will become more noticeable.
“Of course there’s the possibility that Immortality might not absorb this skill, but having it in stock isn’t so bad,” I thought and took in the bidding. – I’ll have to look at something else.”
I decided to look at any passive skill books, regardless of their level. But remembering Shin Yun Ah’s advice about active skills, my eyes only went to the rare level books.
“Hmm, maybe it’s time to spend the extra points?” – I thought, and opened the window to buy and sell.