Level 1 Player (MT Novel) - Chapter 35
Chapter 35 – The Players’ Association (Part 2)
– The Truth Contract skill is over.
– Will there be any more questions?
– In my opinion, there is no need, since you have not given a single wrong answer. You have been very honest with me. Besides, you turned out to have a special skill,” Shin Yun Ah said with a smile.
Now the girl acted completely differently to me. Earlier, she was very strict and formal, although even with that smile, she stuck to the previous formalities. But then everything changed. Now she looked at me as if I were a good acquaintance, as if she had known me for a long time.
– Maybe you also have a special skill?
– Yes, I have a special skill, but I can’t tell you what it is.
– Then I’m not the only one,” I answered disappointedly.
– You shouldn’t feel bad about that. Special skills are unique, only one person can have them, they do not occur repeatedly. Besides, Players with a unique skill have always had a good place in society.
Hearing this made my eyes glaze over.
“Everyone was able to occupy a good place?”
In other words, Shin Yun Ah wasn’t the only one who was able to achieve a high position?! Unfortunately, I knew nothing about this girl. I only guessed that she was one of the high-level Players in the Association. No, she could even be called the consummate Player among all others.
– For mere mortals, information about Players is limited. You can’t get the full rundown on high-level Players either, especially those lucky enough to have a special skill, because they are protected by the National Security Act.
– Is it okay for you to share such information with me?
If such information is protected by law, shouldn’t it be kept strictly confidential?
– You also have a special skill, don’t you? Well, I shouldn’t really say that I have such a skill, but it wouldn’t be a problem if we worked in the same organization.
– But I haven’t agreed to it yet…
– Oh, what should I do? I’m afraid you lost your right to choose when you confessed to possessing a special skill.
– What are you talking about? – I asked in surprise.
– Do not be so serious. This case is no longer an Association, but a nation. Besides, you won’t find a better organization than this in Korea.
Actually, Shin Yoon Ah was right. The advance is four hundred billion won and the annual salary is two billion won. Roof over head and transportation are provided; there is a system to protect the family; profit sharing: from selling stones (8:2), from selling items (10:0); free rental of rare level items; tax exemption for buying skill books and items; benefits.
(P.p.: 400 billion won – ~$343.64 million, 2 billion won – ~$1.71 million).
If the organization was not supported by the government, there were no benefits. Also, there was no need to pay huge debts or have any obligations. There is extra pay for unscheduled work. If an incident that occurred was attributed to a rescue operation or the emergence of a dangerous monster in the dungeons, extra pay was also due. In addition, it was necessary not only to take care of the task itself, but also to pick up the body, stones, and objects.
– Well, now all that’s left is for me to sign,” Shin Yun Ah said as she held out her pen to me.
It was actually a very lucrative offer. Although I doubted that the Players Association really wanted to sign a contract with me and hire me. 80% of the profits from the sale would belong to me, only some 20% would go to the Association. In addition, the organization would provide benefits and various perks. Everything would have been great except for one little “but”.
– Term of the contract: for life
In case of termination of the contract you will have to pay damages in the amount of ten times the advance payment. If the contract is broken, the Player will be charged for all benefits and perks provided.
This lifetime contract could be called a “slave contract. In fact, this condition alone is enough to call it such. The moment I sign the contract, I will be the owner of a huge sum of money. The only thing I would have to “sacrifice” was 20% of the profits from the sale of the stones. Another advantage is the benefits and tax exemptions. Also, if you think about the odd job, there is a decent amount of money to be made there as well. There is no job that does not pay. But.
“It doesn’t have to be for life…”
The term of the contract was too long. And the terms of liquidated damages were vague. As soon as any one of the terms of the contract is broken, you immediately become a steer on a leash.
(P.P.: Literally, “a bull with a nose ring.”)
– Not all Players sign up for all these terms, do they?
Shin Yoon-ah just nodded her head in response.
* * *
Join our discord for updates on releases! http://discord.com/invite/k4CcWXucg9
* * *
– Of course, otherwise the Players’ Association would go bankrupt. The reason why the Association is offering such conditions is because of your special skill, Choi Hyun Seong.
– What? My special skill? – I asked in surprise.
– You can avoid the twenty level rule, right? You can hunt low-level monsters and still raise your level and collect stones. In other words, you can do it an infinite number of times. It would be foolish to pass up the chance to get a Player who can become the strongest in the whole world.
That’s a misconception. But if they think so, it’s probably even better for me.
“Of course there’s some truth in that.”
Regardless of the twenty-level rule, I can earn points. As I engage my points and get stronger, “avoiding” the twenty level rule is one of the additional “side effects” of the special skill.
– Is there any way to shorten the contract period?
– Aren’t you happy with the term?
I only nodded in response.
– Do you know how many Players around the world have the special skill?
– No, I don’t.
To start with, I just found out today that I am not the only one who is lucky enough to have a special skill.
– I don’t know how accurate that information is, but the government estimates that there are somewhere around… about eighty people.
Eighty people… That’s one Player with a unique skill for every hundred million people. And there are about fifty million people in South Korea. That explains why I didn’t know about the existence of Players with a special skill.
– Before I met you, Hyun Seong, I was the only Player with a special skill in all of South Korea.
“It turns out that a special skill is very rare…”
It seems that all special skills are of more interest and are something really special, unlike mine.
– We can’t get special skill carriers from other countries or guilds to join us, so we’ve greatly increased the contract period and changed it to life. If there is anything else you would like, just tell me, I am willing to listen to all your wishes.
– I would like to change the term of my contract from life to one year.
– I’m afraid that’s not possible.
There weren’t many people working in the Association, so this condition was impossible.
– Then reduce the amount of the advance. To about ten billion.
– That’s the same thing.
– How about reducing it to two years?
– We could increase the amount of the advance, but then you would agree to life?
We disagreed. One wants a lifetime contract, the other a short-term contract, so neither of us was ready to compromise.
– The term of the contract is two years, an advance of twenty billion. If we don’t have any problems during those two years, the Association will be a priority for me. If you refuse the terms, I will not sign the contract, – I gave an ultimatum.
– Maybe you have been thinking about emigrating to another country?
I only shook my head in response.
– No. I don’t know much about the Players’ Association, and I just don’t like to obey anyone.
– But you’ve seen the terms, there are more bonuses and positives than debts and obligations.
– Do you really think so?
Yes, right now it seems like a big advantage, but over time things may change. A multi-thousand-dollar advance? It’s hard for me to even think about it right now, but how will I react to it after a while? I think I’m going to have a different opinion on that. I couldn’t neglect my future and fall for the big money.
All I need now is some kind of shield to bolster my strength and protect me. Of course, if I enjoyed working for the Association, I would certainly renew my contract without hesitation. But how can you sign a contract for life without having a life as such!
– I would certainly re-sign with the Association on the same terms. Would the Association lose anything in such a scenario? Maybe you would consider a two-year contract as an apprenticeship period after all.
– Ugh, at your own risk, maybe we can arrange that,” Shin Yun Ah replied with a heavy sigh.
The organization didn’t observe someone to put them on a temporary contract with a probationary period, it observed to renegotiate the contract.
– Really, I can’t decide such a matter alone, I will need to report upstairs.
– Is that a long time?
Shin Yoon Ah rose from her seat.
– Wait a minute. I have a condition.
– When an assignment is made to spy on a player from another country, the Korea Gamblers Association takes care of it first. In such situations it’s absolutely necessary to renegotiate with the Association.
– Alright,” I said.
– Please sign it,” she handed me the redacted contract.
– Okay,” I answered and scribbled my curlicue.
After I signed the two copies of the contract, Shin Yoon Ah extended her hand to me.
– I hope for a fruitful cooperation.
– Of course.
We smiled and shook hands.
– Now that you’ve signed the contract, it’s worth looking into your improvement. Is everything you use now rented?
I merely nodded my head in response.
– Only the sword and the rare level cloak.
– Then we’ll keep those two items and change the rest.
– I’ll leave those two and change the rest.
– Well, first come with me, let’s begin to replace your equipment, – said the girls, and we left the office.
Soon we arrived at the head office of the Players Association, located in the capital city of Seoul. After which we immediately plunged headlong into shopping.
“What’s not to see here…”
A huge amount of expensive outfits of a rare level were on display.
– Are Association representatives allowed to rent it all?
– Not really. Each Player may only take what he is assigned to by the mission. But of course it’s different for you, Choi Hyun Seong.
– I see…
I looked closely at the outfit.
“Mm-hmm, this is a bit different from my expectations.”
In particular, it had something to do with what I had seen earlier in the purchase window.
“I need to look for something suitable,” I thought, and picked up a few options.
– I think that will be enough.
– Now move over a bit, I need to fit everything to your measurements.
– All right.