Level 1 Player (MT Novel) - Chapter 34
Chapter 34 – Players Association (Part 1)
Keeping track of the abusers proved not difficult at all, because all they were doing was sitting around waiting for that man to come back and tell them what to do next in the situation.
“What is their purpose?” – that’s what popped into my head. Why did they choose to target me and why was I the same one Shin Yun Ah was looking for.
“It’s not like they can know about my skills.”
Since I was the only one with information.
“Could it be because of the Saw Guild and the three-headed leopard?” – Such a guess came into my mind because I could only get in trouble from one organization, the Sow Guild, and I met Shin Yun Ah in the dungeon when I had to fight the three-headed monster.
“What am I supposed to do now?”
What should I do if the culprit of this whole misunderstanding turns out to be the Saw Guild? And what should I answer if Shin Yun Ah starts questioning me about what happened in the dungeon? Things have become too confusing.
“But I have to be strong. I can handle it!”
Right now my self-confidence was more important to me than anything else. But for that, I needed a way to protect myself. I had bent myself into this dangerous situation, but besides, they could retaliate not only against me, but against my family as well.
“The Sow Guild won’t stop there…”
Obviously, because their original plan failed, they might spill over to my loved ones.
“I have to find a way out of this crap.”
However, no matter how hard I racked my brains, I couldn’t come up with anything workable. On the one hand, Shin Yoon Ah is doing me a favor, but on the other hand, she has plans for me, too. It’s very likely that she’ll also ask me to open a status window for her. And what happens after I refuse? She will probably become my enemy, too.
“The Association seems to be quite an office… They shouldn’t be trusted either.
Even though they have the personal information and location of the Players, I don’t think what Shin Yoon Ah is doing now is legitimate.
I thought the Player solved all his problems on his own. Maybe it did back in the days when I worked on a construction site and was jealous of those who became a Player. But now the world of Players has its own rules. Yes, I became a Player, but as it turns out, once you master some skills, you instantly become dangerous.
– How much longer do I have to wait? – I heard Shin Yoon Ah’s exhausted voice.
– These guys received an order from the Sow Guild. The purpose was to maim Hyun Seong. And later, they were probably going to win him over to their side. You got all the information you needed, and after collecting the evidence, you also learned something even more shocking.
– Did you?
As expected, the Sow Guild was behind it all.
– First we need to get outside.
Hearing this, I got up from my seat and left the dungeon.
The problem was quickly resolved. One call to the Association and everyone is already here. Shin Yun Ah’s subordinates quickly pulled the Players who attacked me out of the dungeon.
– Do you have a moment to spare? – I heard the girl’s voice and turned around to look at him.
The place we came to turned out to be a branch of the Players’ Association.
– May I ask… Why were you looking for me? – I decided to ask the question first.
– All because of that incident with the three-headed leopard.
It’s just as I suspected.
– And how did you know I was in the goblin dungeon?
– She went through the records of who entered, where and when.
Of course, it wouldn’t be hard for her to get that information.
– Isn’t that legal?
– Yes, the Association can ask for any information about Players when it’s necessary.
Guilds and Associations operate differently, after all. Whereas the guilds use illegal ways to get information, the associations do it through official methods.
– That incident…
Shin Yoon-ah told the truth about how she investigated and how she tried to find the person who handled that monster.
– It was you, Choi Hyun Seong, after all. Since this is an unofficial investigation, I was secretly going to find out your abilities and sneak away unnoticed. But as you can see, something went wrong, so I wanted to apologize to you again for not interfering sooner.
– You wanted to assess my abilities, didn’t you?
Shin Yun Ah nodded her head in response.
– Yes, the last skill you used in the battle with Jung Woo Hyun was enough for me. After that, I was convinced that you were the one who killed that monster.
– Do you think it’s a crime to hide the fact that I killed a three-headed leopard?
– Of course not. The association was looking for you to reward you for your work.
– Yes, and that’s perfectly logical. Besides, we’d like to offer you something.
– You want me to join your ranks?
– That’s right.
Just as I thought.
“How am I supposed to turn this down now?”
* * *
Join our discord for updates on releases! http://discord.com/invite/k4CcWXucg9
* * *
Right now, as far as I can tell, I’m being treated pretty friendly, but after I refuse, things could change quite the opposite. I will be treated with hostility. For the Sow Guild I am already enemy number one, will I become an enemy to such a state institution as the Players’ Association? For a Player, it must be akin to a death sentence. But I have to do something.
– I haven’t really thought about joining any organization,” I began quietly.
– You think about it, but first let me tell you the terms. Your advance will be one hundred billion, which is the amount the Sow Guild has offered you. In addition, if you become a representative of the Association, you will receive as many benefits as possible from it, from a reduced tax to free equipment…” without stopping, Shin Yun Ah spoke about the privileges.
I involuntarily opened my mouth at what I heard.
– And of course it’s necessary to open your status window?
– No, you don’t have to. It would only be necessary to pass a couple of tests.
And then I was completely stunned.
– Just a test?
– Yeah, it’s really quite simple. All you have to do is answer a couple of questions honestly to the person I’ll introduce you to later.
– An investigator?
A player can have all sorts of skills. There are some that aren’t very good in combat, and some that can help the community. One such skill was the “truth contract.” Players with this skill are of great benefit when working for the police or the prosecutor’s office. If a Player activates this skill, he can easily determine whether a person is lying or not. If the interrogator is telling the truth, nothing happens, but if he is lying, his body emits a red light. That’s why the public has called Players who have the skill of “truth contracting” investigators.
– What’s the reason you want to take me into your organization? With these conditions, wouldn’t it be easier for you to take in a high-level Player?
Shin Yun Ah shook her head in response.
– A high level is not the same as a high level. The truth is, we don’t really hire Players with exceptional abilities. They might be at a high level, but they might not have any powers.
– Is that because of the twenty level rule?
– That’s not the only reason.
– I don’t know how to avoid that rule. And if I did, would you take me into your organization?
– Of course I would. You’ve shown outstanding results for three months. That’s enough to invest a hundred billion in you.
“She knows I’m special…”
I bought “subspace” to hide my specialness, but apparently it’s all for naught. If the Sow Guild knows about it, so does the Association. And if the information is in the public domain, the other major guilds have probably found out about it as well.
“I’m all alone.
I can’t withstand the onslaught of the big guilds. I don’t have to worry about success if everyone pounces on me in droves. It didn’t matter if it was the guild or the Association. I didn’t know if that would happen in the distant future, but it’s certainly different now. I was definitely weak compared to Shin Yoon Ah and Jang Woo Heng.
“I wish I had a shield somewhere.”
Moreover, I needed a shield that would help protect not only myself but also my family from all guilds, including the Sow Guild.
Even though the Association was rotten, it was still a state organization. This could have been my shield and protection, since the Players Association has public rights, it is the one that gives permission to create and dissolve guilds. The organization even owns the right to forbid access to a dungeon if this or that Player is causing trouble, as well as to conscript Players into the army if the country is in crisis. It is the only organization in South Korea that boasts the power and strength, as well as the influence, unlike the larger guilds. If I become a representative of the Association, I can definitely get rid of the unnecessary conversations and antics of the big guilds. In addition, the amount of the advance will be a hundred billion, plus various perks. It’s not all that bad.
I opened my eyes.
– Have you made up your mind? – Shin Yun Ah asked as she turned her head.
– Let’s have an honest conversation with you first and then come back to this topic.
– I think you made the right decision.
– We will use the “truth contract” skill on you. Do you consent to the procedure?
– When the skill is activated, a confirmation message will appear in front of your eyes. You can choose the answer option there. Contract of truth,” the investigator said and activated the skill.
[Contract of Truth skill activated. Do you wish to accept it?]
I chose “Yes.”
After I made the choice, some of the investigator’s magical power entered my body. One thing I can say for sure, feeling someone else’s power in me is not the most pleasant feeling. After the skill was applied, the investigator stood up and left the room, and Shin Yun Ah started asking questions.
– Is it true that your awakening took place three months ago?
– Do you know of a way to get around the twenty-level rule?
– I know that you are a level 140 Player. Why do you hunt in low level dungeons?
The stream of questions didn’t stop.
Surprisingly, Shin Yun Ah asked the most ordinary, nothing special questions. For the most part, they were questions that could simply be answered “yes” or “no.” Besides, I tried not to answer ambiguous questions.
– Do you have a special skill?
And now the fun part began.
– This is a question you need to answer.
– Yes,” I answered meekly.
“Did she know I had a special skill?”
I thought I was the only one with a special skill. But that didn’t seem to be the case.
“I doubt anyone else has the exact same skill as I do.
What if there is, or was, someone before me who also possessed the skill of “trading”?
– Does the reason you hunt low-level monsters have anything to do with this special skill?
– Can you share your special skill with another Player?
What I possessed could not be passed on to another Player.
– Is there any way you can get around the twenty level rule with your special skill?
Hearing this question, for a moment I wanted to exercise my right to remain silent, but I realized in time that the magical power of the investigator was leaving my body. The skill involved had ceased to work. So it was easy for me to lie. There was no need to tell the truth, because the skill had already expired.