Level 1 Player (MT Novel) - Chapter 33
Chapter 33 – Assignment (Part 2)
“And he’s strong.”
I was all sweaty. This man, who appeared so suddenly out of nowhere, was different from those who had attacked me before. His strength and speed… He was superior in everything.
I had a light sword, and my opponent had a heavy blade. But it was important to note that he was very skillful with it, and insistently tried to tear off my limbs. If I had hesitated just a little bit, I would have lost something for sure. But thanks to the shield, I was still on my feet.
“Why is he doing this? – I thought to myself, as I didn’t understand at all what was going on right now. – For starters, I have to get out of here… Fire Spear!”
I used the strongest fire skill I had. The spear that appeared went straight toward the stranger and hit him with a huge thud. The distance between us was short, so he couldn’t dodge. I decided to retreat instead of attacking. And I made the right choice.
“How dare that creep…,” the man roared and emerged from the fire, having no problem overcoming him. – I’m the one who struck the fatal blow!”
Nothing happened to the man, with the exception of burned eyebrows and hair. My attack did no damage, his armor only slightly covered in black traces of soot. The flaming spear couldn’t penetrate his armor.
I rushed to run, feeling the aching pain spreading through my body.
“I should save my points,” I thought, and immediately regretted my decision.
I had managed to earn twenty-five billion points, but I planned to spend them on buying the Elixir. If I used them now, I’d have to go to a higher level dungeon.
The low level dungeons weren’t threatening me, so I wasn’t planning on changing my plans. But something went wrong. I didn’t think I’d meet anyone other than monsters in the dungeon.
“It’s not a simple coincidence…!”
At first I thought I was just unlucky, but I changed my mind after fending off this guy’s attacks.
“He’s not going to kill me here…?”
I realized that this man outnumbered me in strength. So the quickest way out of the situation was to hit a vital organ or slit my throat. And this had to be done very carefully. If I managed to survive today, I was definitely in trouble.
Nevertheless, I continued to be haunted. I hadn’t noticed it at first. But I did realize it after I saw that the Player was attacking to cripple, not to kill. I was originally the main objective of the head of this gang. And his goal was to render me incapacitated.
I honestly didn’t understand why they were doing all this. But now I have absolutely no time to think about it. First and foremost, I have to worry about how to get out of this crisis situation.
“What should I buy?”
I quickly opened the buy-sell window and found the heroic level skill books. I kept using my fire spears to at least contain my opponent, but I didn’t know when he might strike back.
I didn’t have the extra points to buy any performance enhancing potions. Now I needed something that could save my ass.
“This is it!”
[Survival Instinct (heroic)
Passive ability: in all situations that threaten your life, this skill increases all characteristics by 50% for 60 seconds. After activation the skill rollback is one hour.
[Seller: Quick Du].
[Price: 19,999,999,999 points]
Almost twenty billion points… But now is not the time to worry about saving them!
[Do you want to buy the Survival Instinct (Heroic) skill book?]
You can always exchange or make a refund on an item you bought.
“Of course YES!”
An ornate skill book appeared in front of me with a faint purple glow, which I immediately grabbed.
[Do you want to read the heroic book Survival Instinct?]
I clicked “Yes” again.
[Passive skill heroic level Survival Instinct learned]
The passive skill activated instantly, and as my life hung in the balance, I immediately felt an increase in characteristics. Five percent… No, all fifty percent! I couldn’t help but feel it. The total sum of my characteristics was over 400. Despite the fact that the boosting process took only 60 seconds, my data could be compared to a Player who had survived the third revival. And that was enough to come face to face with my opponent. So I immediately turned around and headed toward him.
He didn’t seem so mighty and great to me now; on the contrary, he was somehow slow.
“I shouldn’t procrastinate with him.”
* * *
Join our discord for updates on releases! http://discord.com/invite/k4CcWXucg9
* * *
And the clock was ticking. So I must decide the outcome of the battle as quickly as possible! I drew my vampire sword from its sheath again. And the moment I faced my opponent…
A girl appeared between me and the stranger. Her spear was pointed in the direction of the well-equipped man. The moment the sound of the blade and spear hitting each other was heard, the blade of the blade broke like a piece of torn paper.
– Huh?” my opponent was surprised and looked at the empty hilt of the blade.
At that moment a second attack followed. The spear that had just shattered the blade began to spin, and the shaft struck the man squarely in the back of the head. As a result, the man fell to the ground.
The man who had put me in this dangerous situation was now lying motionless in the ground. And the girl who had just knocked the guy out turned around and headed in my direction.
“What just happened anyway…?”
I was confused. I looked at the girl who was approaching me, and even though the passive skill was still in effect, I didn’t have the courage to resist her.
– Hello, Choi Hyun Seong,” she smiled. – I was a little rude the last time I saw you.
– Who are you? – I asked confusedly.
– We’ve actually met before…
I think I’ve actually met her somewhere before.
– Ah!” I suddenly remembered. – Are you the girl who gave me the potion?
I ran into the Gamblers’ Association girl in the Red-Haired Wolf Dungeon, where I met the three-headed leopard. I still have unused the potion she gave me that time.
I feel a little safer now that I know her true face.
– Thank you for your help.
– On the contrary, I owe you an apology. In fact, I’ve been watching the situation from the beginning…
These words made me feel ridiculous.
– I’ve been observing them since my very first assignment. So I apologize for not intervening sooner.
– From your first assignment?
– Yes, these people are repeat offenders.
It was only after she said that I fully understood what was going on.
– Oh, you followed them to prove they were criminals, right?
It crept into my head that this girl might have been conducting a covert investigation.
– No. I wanted to know what kind of capabilities you have, Hyun Seong.
– What? Me?
– Allow me to introduce myself officially. My name is Shin Yoon Ah and I’m the head of the investigation department of the Gamblers’ Association. And I followed you to the goblin dungeon, not these guys.
– What are you talking about now?
– Let’s leave the dungeon and I’ll tell you why I was looking for you. But first, we have to finish things with this one,” the girl said and nodded her head toward the immobilized body.
– ‘All right. But these people are repeat offenders, have you dealt with them before?
– Yes, but there’s no evidence that these people were involved in disappearances.
– I believe they weren’t just disappearances, they were murders.
Shin Yun Ah’s words sent shivers down my spine and at the same time raised a lot of questions in my mind. I didn’t even think that these people wanted to kill me. That man probably changed his original plans after I launched the flaming spear at him, but I don’t think he wanted me dead.
– I’m not sure they were going to kill me…
– I am of the same opinion. I saw the Players of that guild pounce on your sword. I’m guessing they were going to debauch after they left the dungeon.
– What was their purpose? Why were they doing all this?
I was just a Player who hunts in a low-level dungeon. I had only the vampire sword among my expensive and valuable items, everything else I rented. Nevertheless, these Players still could not know the true value of my sword. And even if they did, it was easier to kill me.
– Now I just have to find out the reason why.
Shin Yun Ah smiled and kicked the man lying on the ground.
– I know you’re awake. Get up now!
But after saying that and kicking him, he didn’t even move.
– I wasn’t planning on resorting to extreme measures…” Yun Ah frowned and gently poked the lying man with her spear.
The sharp tip of the spear struck straight into the man’s armor and entered his thigh.
– Ah-ah-ah-ah!” the man screamed and grabbed his leg.
– Oh, it moved! That’s a good sign. Why did you attack Hyun Seong? – The girl immediately asked him.
– What are you talking about? I was just defending my fellow players who were attacked! How could a representative of the Association attack an innocent Gambler? You should have attacked him! I will report this incident to the press and I will definitely report it to the police!
In response, Shin Yoon Ah only laughed.
– How do you know that I am the representative of the association?
– Do I look like a fool? Or do you think I don’t know what’s going on? Or do you want to know how I know?
– We’re in a dungeon. You have no proof that I killed anyone or that anyone died at all. Do you really think I’d turn in Hyun Seong to the police instead of you? – Yoon Ah asked with a smile.
The man didn’t answer anything. The dungeon was a kind of place of natural selection-the laws didn’t apply there. That’s why everyone was watching me in the dungeon. But in both cases something went wrong.
– Unless you want the goblin dungeon to be your grave, you had better speak up. Your life is not valuable enough to keep you alive.
– Are you threatening me? Do Association representatives kill good Players?
– He doesn’t seem to have come to his senses yet. Choi Hyun Seong, would you mind taking a short walk?
– Yes, of course…
– In that case, don’t let the ones over there who are passed out realize the situation and run away. If even one of them escapes, we’ll be in trouble.
– All right,” I said, and headed toward the place where the Players had attacked me.
As soon as I turned my back, I heard the man’s wild screams.