Level 1 Player (MT Novel) - Chapter 27
Chapter 27 – Subspace Skill
Upon arriving at my destination, I immediately checked into a motel near the Red-Haired Wolf dungeon. I wanted to plunge headlong into the hunt, but before I could enter the dungeon, I needed to solve a few things.
– I had to figure out how to hide the number of stones I’d gotten.
I didn’t need the money right now. It was enough for me to get rid of a small amount of accumulated stones, all because I was suspected by the Sow Guild of selling this resource in abnormal amounts. This is precisely the problem I need to solve.
So far I have only been pursued by the Sow guild, but if I continue to sell them in such large quantities then other guilds may also be interested in me.
– I couldn’t trust anyone, not even the people in the Association.
I was suspicious of everyone, the staff who checked what you brought out of the dungeon, and those who dealt with the stone sales, because some of them had supplied all my personal information to the guild. In other words, the other guilds could have obtained the same information about me if they wanted to.
– Now I should have avoided the staff of the Association.
The only problem was that this was impossible, since the dungeon staff would inspect all the contents of your “pockets” when you came out. Officially, this is done to prevent monster eggs or plant seeds from leaving the dungeon. But obviously that is not the main reason.
And the true reason was taxes.
Players, with the exception of newcomers, can be called moneybags, as this category of people earn decent sums by their activities. Of course, most of the Players follow the formalities and pay taxes. But the government took care of everyone by installing “doors” and putting employees in place to ensure that those who avoided paying taxes would still pay them.
In this way, the government became in control of everyone. So if there are those among the employees of the Association who can sell your personal information for a bribe, then there are also those who, for a certain amount of money, will spill everything about the items or stones received.
Though it’s possible that this only applies to guilds sponsored by big companies.
In the Players Society, in fact, I was a nobody. So there was nothing I could do about the guild cartel and the Players Association. And so by far the best way to stay out of trouble was to avoid it.
– But as it was, I would find a solution.
I went to the status window. I clicked on the special skill “Trade” and a lot of items and Skill Books appeared in front of my eyes.
– I think I’d seen it all before.
After looking through a considerable amount of what was provided, I finally found something new.
[Active ability: By studying the book, only the Player will be able to open subspace. No other living creature can enter.]
[Price: 699, 999, 999 points]
[Do you want to buy the Subspace Skill Book (Rare)?
You will always be able to exchange or refund your purchase.
– Too expensive…
Even though I found what I wanted, it’s expensive even for me. This book cost more than the Skill of Mastery. If you put this book up for sale now, you’ll get at most two billion for it.
– But I need that skill!
So I closed my eyes and pressed the “Yes” button. Along with a flash of light, an ornate book with a blue cover appeared in front of me. In a second, though, I had aged another twenty years and looked like I was in my fifties.
[Do you want to read the rare book Subspace?]
Without a second thought, I clicked yes.
– Subspace,” I decided to use the skill I’d learned.
The whole landscape distorted and everything plunged into total darkness.
– It’s more spacious than I thought…
It was so dark inside the subspace that it was hardly possible to see a single object. But it didn’t bother me at all. I had a few questions, though: how big was the space, what I could and could not put there, how to put something there, and how to get it out. But at least I knew that this thing was really big.
– It seems to be about the size of my dorm room, where I used to roll over.
That room was small enough for comfortable living, but it was just right for storing rocks. It seemed to me that big items, like armor, could even fit in here without problems.
– Now we can hunt.
My problem solved, so we can move on.
* * *
Join our discord for updates on releases! http://discord.com/invite/k4CcWXucg9
* * *
[Incredible Achievement (Rare)]
You killed 1000 red-haired wolves of various levels by yourself.
Reward: Rank [Red-haired Wolf Maniac (Rare)]
– This is going so well.
Surprisingly, the hunt is going great, which could not be said about the last dungeon.
– Hmm, they even let me in quietly.
I wore a mask completely covering my face. I was anxious at first, but the staff at the dungeon entrance didn’t care; they just checked my ID and fingerprints, and then quietly let me through. Apparently they decided that there was no point in checking who was hiding under the mask.
Though if you think about it, there are plenty of weirdos among the Players. But mostly only aristocrats covered their faces. Less often someone covered their face with iron armor out of fear.
I put all the stones in subspace. Here I even considered pretending to be an ordinary Player. A lone Player, so to speak, who didn’t come to the dungeon at the highest level. In fact, that was the concept I was pursuing.
Nothing is impossible.
For low-level Players, the best option was to hunt with other Players of similar level in a group. But Players with higher abilities or equipment preferred to hunt alone. Though the effect of such hunting was worse.
“In any case, I must leave the dungeon with at least a few stones, at least for show,” I thought to myself and began to hunt.
Now that I had a rare level rank, I needed to pump it up to heroic level.
– Is there a newcomer that Ma Gi Hoon has his eye on? – Guild Leader Pu Jung Sung Woo glowed.
– Yes, he was hiding, so it was hard for us to find out about it. I think we have to get him on our side.
– Why? Hurry up and tell us!
In response, Second Support Team Commander Seo Dae-Woon began to lay out the information he had received at the end of this week.
– Not two months had passed since his Awakening. How had he completed the level 15-20 dungeon hunt? Was it by himself?
– Yes, but that’s not the most interesting part. Rumor has it that this Choi Hyun Seong isn’t subject to the 20 level rule.
– Is that true?
– I can’t say anything about the veracity of that rumor, but I think it’s very likely.
– And you’re sure he hasn’t been poached yet? – Jung Seong Woo asked.
– Yes. As far as we know, he’s still being negotiated, but the amount he’s asking for is very high.
– How much is he asking for in advance?
– A hundred billion.
Jung Seong Woo was very surprised. Even he thought it was too much.
– We know that he was originally offered a minimum advance of ten billion and an annual salary of one billion. But he turned it down and asked for one hundred billion.
Who the hell is he to ask for a hundred billion? For that kind of money you can hire a high-level player with great fighting abilities.
– Or maybe he’s not in his right mind.
A hundred billion is not such a small amount. But if the rule of 20 levels doesn’t apply to him, it’s a reasonable price.
– And the problem itself lies not in the advance, but in the difference in provisions. Before signing the contract, Choi Hyun Seong will have to open his status window, and only then will Ma Ji Hoon decide whether or not to sign the contract with him.
– Ha!” grinned Jeong Sung Woo.
– He’s still just as stupid and indecisive.
Because of his awkwardness, he had once missed out on Kim Ha-Nu. But from now on, he wasn’t going to make that mistake again.
– Yes, it wouldn’t be easy to change his mind.
This was a great opportunity for Jung Sung Woo, since he didn’t have high hopes for the head of the Soo Ma Ji Hoon Guild. He could only be praised for his strategy and superior physical strength, and that was where his advantages ended. Certainly, Ma Ji Hoon could come across as a courageous storm troop commander, but in no way an outstanding leader.
– There shouldn’t be any problems, since I managed to get a high position without any ability, having only luck.
The head of the guild must be himself. Although if it were really that easy, the Sow Guild wouldn’t be dying so badly right now.
– We’ll pay an advance to start with, and if there are any problems after looking at the status window, we’ll give it all back.
It’s simple enough.
– We have to make sure everything goes according to plan.
For some reason, Jung Sung Woo couldn’t think of illegal ways like bribing Players Association employees to get personal information.
– I have to meet with Choi Hyun Seong myself. If he signs the contract, we’ll give him a hundred billion right away.
– Can you really give him that much?
– If you work out the contract well, we can get that money back in case of any inaccuracy.
– I understand,” the second team captain nodded his head and left the office.
After Jung Sung Woo was alone, a satisfied smile appeared on his face.
– If all goes well, I could take Ma Ji Hoon’s place.
This time it was the perfect opportunity to oust the incompetent leader.
Having finished my hunt, I nonchalantly looked at the dungeon employee standing at the entrance. And, for the record, he was indifferent. And I’m glad that this time I didn’t attract anyone’s attention with my actions.
“I did it! Now I can avoid suspicion from the Sow Guild.
Before that, the guild representatives had persistently tried to contact me. I even changed my number and moved to an area with poor communications. And now the guild won’t have an easy time finding me.
No matter how big the guild is, they can’t bribe the entire staff of the Players Association.
After meeting with the guild representatives, I rummaged through the entire Players Forum, and as a result, I was able to learn that there are dungeons in the country where guild members are regulars.
All of the dungeons are owned by the state, but the larger guilds use the designated areas as their own, earning a lot of experience and money there. Of course, one reason is to level up quickly, but their main goal is tax evasion. In addition, if you bribe an employee of such a dungeon, everything will go smoothly. This also applies to the Blood Red Rats dungeon, where I met up with members of the Soo Lee Soo Hwi and Ko Jin Sung guilds. And it was this dungeon that the low-level Soo Guild Players used as a “personal” place to get experience points. It is also a dungeon often used by low-level players of the Oson Guild.
The Eosong Guild is one of the three largest guilds in South Korea. It’s also famous for not being on good terms with the Sow Guild. The dungeon I hunted in belonged to the Ohseong Guild, so there was only a slim chance that Sou Guild members would sneak in.
It was nice and relaxing to have subspace now.
If I’d taken a lot of stones out of the dungeon, I’d have already attracted the attention of the Sohon Guild. But thanks to subspace, that wouldn’t happen.