Level 1 Player (MT Novel) - Chapter 20
Chapter 20 – The Vampire Sword
Usually the remnants of magic from monsters’ bodies are converted into one item or stone. In other words, one corpse is one object. But if the residual magic doesn’t convert into something specific, it simply disperses into thin air. But this time it was different. All the magic of the bats I’d killed was transformed into a single object! I was so surprised that I couldn’t take my eyes off of it.
[Vampire Sword (Rare)]
[Restores magic and stamina to the user by absorbing the attacker’s blood]
This sword was a rare item and had one option. But this option had two functions at once: magic and stamina restoration. For tanks and DDs, it was an item that could only be wielded if one concentrated entirely on hunting. But the most important thing was something else.
– It could happen again.
If you kill too many low level monsters at once, you can get a rare item. And in the same case, what happens if you kill too many rare level monsters in one go? You can probably get a heroic level item.
– We’ll have to try again.
The Vampire Bats dungeon was the perfect place to experiment.
– I thought it would be easy…” I said with a grim expression on my face as I stared at the stones and objects scattered around.
In fact, I’d been stuck in the dungeon of the Vampire Bats for a week. I’d gotten every possible accomplishment, but I kept hunting, hoping in the back of my mind that something like this would happen again. The only problem was that there were no results at all. The magic left over from the bodies of the dead bats was not converting well: it either came out poorly or didn’t show up at all. And after the first day, only once did I manage to observe something like that. True, the object bore little resemblance to a vampire sword. To put it another way, some stuff appeared.
[Vampire Bat Cloak (rare)]
[Tight and stiff cloak that doesn’t tear]
– And what was that?
Yes, it was a rare item, but in terms of options it was no different from low-level items. It would have been better to have stones or other items instead of this useless thing.
– Yeah, it’s a bit like gambling, really.
And that’s because remnants of magic are rarely converted into a single item. And even though a similar phenomenon occurred once more, it could not be called a success. It was more like one big disappointment.
– Well, I’ll take it anyway.
Now the only thing I could get from hunting bats was points. But clearing other dungeons could get ranks. Certainly, you have to spend a lot more time here to be successful.
– Later, when I got stronger, I would have to come back here and try again.
What made me despondent was not knowing if anything would happen after I killed 10,000 bats, like what happened after I killed 1,000.
Mom quit her official job. That day, instead of hunting, I went with her to the real estate agency – we were planning to look for another house, because it was very uncomfortable for the three of us to live in one small room.
– Hello there. Welcome! – The real estate agent approached us from the doorstep before we arrived.
– We called the other day.
– Oh, yes, yes. You wanted to look for a 32 pyeong* apartment?
(P.P.: Approximately 105.6 square meters)
– Yes, that’s right.
– Come this way, please.
The agent informed my mother and I about the housing.
– Does this house look too big? – My mother asked me quietly as she followed the agent.
– It’s okay, everyone should have their own room.
But I wanted an apartment of neither 52 pyeong* nor 42 pyeong*, but a total of 32 pyeong. Nowadays, looking at the circumstances and my expected income, it wouldn’t be difficult to buy a 32 pyeong apartment.
(P.p.: Approximately 171.6 square meters and 138.6 square meters, respectively.)
– There are many apartments with a total area of 24 pyeong* with three rooms. If such can be offered, we’d better save some money now,” the mother insisted.
(P.p.: Approximately 79.2 square meters.)
* * *
Join our discord for updates on releases! http://discord.com/invite/k4CcWXucg9
* * *
– I’m earning enough now. So please don’t worry. Besides, it’s money that will come back one way or another later.
In response to my words, my mother nodded her head.
– Here is where the kitchen is located, and here is the room for the hostess.
Mom began to listen to the words of the agent and carefully studied the proposed options of apartments. And when she found something she liked, she smiled widely.
– Did you like something? – I asked.
Mom nodded in response.
– Yes, there is no mold or condensation in the apartment. In addition, the kitchen is very convenient for cooking.
– Then we take this option.
– No, we might regret it if we don’t weigh everything. Let’s look at the other options.
I had no choice but to agree. We looked at a total of four apartments and finally settled on a 32pc apartment. That same day I signed the contract.
– Thank you very much.
– You must have been exhausted while showing us the apartments.
– No, I didn’t. That’s my job.
I smiled and shook hands with the real estate agent. And after all the paperwork was done, my mother and I returned home. There was a beaming smile on my mother’s face. When I noticed it, I involuntarily smiled myself.
– Somehow we will get a better apartment than the old one.
After my father recovers, the two of us can choose the right property. So we can all live together under the same roof, despite the fact that my sister and I have been living independently for a long time.
We quickly made a plan to move. Since the previous tenant had found another place even before, our move to the new place went off without a hitch. We got everything done that same day. I immediately called a freight cab and unloaded all of our belongings myself: there weren’t many of them, so there was no need to call a special moving service.
– Wow, how spacious! – My sister said with her mouth hanging open in surprise.
– Hyun Ji, is this the first time you’ve seen something like this?
– Yes, it’s a really nice apartment,” she’s already thirty years old, but she’s happy as a child, sincerely.
– We’ll move to a bigger apartment later.
In response to my words, Hyun-ji grinned and smiled even wider.
– This will be more than enough for us.
I walked out of the cramped room. Actually, I was glad that my sister was in a good mood. And Mom was smiling heartily as she unpacked the boxes of belongings. When everything was done and all the new furniture was in its place, we all tasted chajangmyeong* and dansuyok* together. That day we decided to order takeout from a restaurant.
(P.p.: Chajangmyeong is noodles with sauce, meat or seafood, and vegetables. Tansuyok is a meat dish in sweet and sour sauce.)
– It’s delicious,” my sister said, smiling.
– Mom, are we going to meet our neighbors tomorrow?
– Yes, that would be great. After we move in, we should definitely go see them.
And so began a conversation between mom and sister.
– That’s great.
I was happy to see the smiles on those two’s faces. But I can tell you for sure, I would have been happier than ever if Dad had gotten better and was sitting there with us smiling like that.
“I have to do my best to keep it that way,” I firmly decided to myself.
– Who the hell is this man? – Lee Soo-hwi asked Ma Ji-hoon feebly.
– That’s… I’d like to know too,” the girl bowed her head.
After Lee Soo Hwi met Hyun Seong, she immediately went to the guild and told the head of Soo Ma Ji Hoon about the newcomer’s existence. After that, he ordered an investigation. Although there have been no rising stars in the Sow guild lately, they still had some outstanding Players. But the guild, for example, never managed to get hold of top Players like Kim Ha Na and Cha Woo Hyuk. At first, the presence or absence of top Players didn’t matter, but later things changed. As a result, the Soo Guild, quite frankly, has been bogged down. The guild used to be one of the top 3 guilds in South Korea, but now it’s not even in the top 10.
And it was at just such a moment that Lee Soo-hwi received new information. This was a good reason for Ma Ji Hoon, with the help of guild members, to gather all the information about Hyun Seong. Such help from the guild proved to be worthwhile. With the help of Soo Group’s sponsors, it wasn’t difficult for the guild head to easily find out as much information as possible. Namely, his name, age, marital status, dungeons he had been to, the number of items and stones he had obtained.
As a result, everyone was very surprised. They had their doubts since Lee Soo Hwi first saw Hyun Seong on the first day of his hunt. And then he was at level 1 and on his first hunt. But he was literally sweeping away all the horned rabbits in his path. Despite the fact that this monster is the lowest level, but still a monster is still a monster.
Until now, no Player has shown such a result, starting at the first level. Of course, he either has good characteristics or special skills. But that wasn’t the problem. If you look at the number of stones he got, you can deduce the monsters he killed. Hyun Seong killed 1,000 monsters in one day! That’s a lot harder to believe.
To date, he had more than 10,000 low-level monsters killed. These conclusions were based on the stones sold. 10,000 monsters? Be that as it may, if he had already killed that many monsters, then he should have gotten a huge amount of experience points. By killing low-level monsters and completing the first quest, he had already pumped up and increased his level. But having killed so many low-level monsters, it is impossible to gain a sufficient number of experience points. Especially completing just the first mission.
All because of the 20 level rule. If the difference between a monster and the Player is 20 levels or more, the Player will not be able to gain experience points or stones-it’s a pattern. But Hyun Seong has already traversed all of the low-level dungeons. First, he spent a week in the Blood Fox dungeon, where Players of levels 5-10 are hunted, and then he suddenly returned to the Horned Rabbit dungeon, where Players of levels 1-5 usually start. It was more like insanity than common sense.
But there was something else that defied explanation. Stones. How was it possible to earn so many stones? Under normal circumstances he should not have gotten even one stone.
– Could it be that he had some special skill?
In response to Lee Soo Hwi’s words, Ma Ji Hoon nodded his head.
– It’s quite possible. I would even say a skill that allows him to break the 20 level rule.
It was this rule that got a lot of Players in trouble. Because of it Players can’t level up quickly, make more money, not to mention the top rankers. If someone somehow managed to avoid this rule, the guild would have no problem becoming #1 not just in South Korea, but in the entire world.
– I can’t understand how this puppy managed to avoid the 20 level rule. Is there some other special rule? Or maybe a skill? If it is a skill after all, surely there is a rule that allows it to be used?
Ma Ji Hoon’s mind was all mixed up. But even though he broke his head, he was definitely able to come to a conclusion.