Level 1 Player (MT Novel) - Chapter 14
Chapter 14. The First Hunt (Part 2)
The gate to the Horned Rabbit dungeon. This is where the changing of the security staff takes place.
– Good job.
– You did a good job,” the four officers exchanged pleasantries with each other.
Lee Na Il and Park Boeun cheerfully greeted their replacements, Lee Soo Hwa and Kim Ji Soo. The four were members of the same guild.
– Yeah, and you’re doing a good job too,” Lee Soo Hwi said, among all four of them, she held the highest position.
– ‘Did it go well today? – Li Na Il asked.
– Nah, it was all for nothing,” replied Lee Soo Hwi and frowned.
– ‘When we’re done with this dirty work and get out of here, we should have a lot of kills on our books.
– Yes, we’ll definitely take them alive,” replied Lee Na Il and Park Boeun cheerfully.
– You should do it! – Lee Soo Hwi grumbled tiredly.
– Don’t worry! We’re prepared enough.
– Yeah, be sure to kill them!
Suddenly, Lee Soo Hwi’s face twisted at the words of her comrades.
– Maybe someone forgot? And if they don’t show up, that’s a problem, right?
– I’m sorry.
– Anyway, try your best!
In response to Lee Soo Hwi’s nervous remark, Lee Na Il and Park Boeun bowed their heads as if they were really guilty of something. It’s hard not to notice that in this low class guild, the clear leader was Lee Soo Hwi.
Whether you’re an ordinary person, a Player, or an organization, life is extremely difficult.
“Good luck, sis. We’ll definitely get there in a few days,” Lee Soo Hwi thought to herself as she followed Kim Ji Soo.
They had already spent fifteen days here and all for nothing.
Lee Soo Hwi was a high level Player. She had changed her occupation four times already. The reason she kept coming back to this dungeon was simple: work.
However, each Player’s working conditions are different. Sometimes you have to hunt down high-level name monsters, and sometimes you have to hole up and hunt down low-grade ones. In Lee Soo-hwi’s case, the fourth quest has a fairly simple condition: kill the boss of this dungeon. The Horned Rabbit, on the other hand, is the lowest-level monster. The boss had to be about level 5.
When he appeared, a second would be enough to slit his throat. But he didn’t. Time was slipping through her fingers, and Lee Soo Hwi was getting more and more irritable.
– Ji Soo, let’s go.
– Yes, sis.
As soon as Kim Ji Soo was by her side, Soo Hwi activated her skill.
– The veil of darkness!
With that phrase, Soo Hwi and Ji Soo disappeared into the darkness. “The veil of darkness” is a special skill of the hero that allows him to hide himself, as well as other objects, sounds, and magic. Thanks to this skill, Lee Soo Hwi was able to rise to the position of guild leader at such a young age.
– If things keep going like this, we won’t even have to fight.
The reason why Soo Hwi used this skill was to avoid those rabbits that give no experience or magic.
Kim Ji Soo took the place of a hiller on the team. She was the one who had to heal everyone after the horned rabbits attacked.
– Sis, can you hear me?
– What’s going on?
– Oh, I just wanted to tell you that the third team leader and the junior second team leader were at the supply depot…
Using the veil, Lee Soo Hwi and Kim Ji Soo talked peacefully until they reached the middle of the dungeon. Even though the two were talking to each other in full voice, the rabbits they passed by couldn’t see them.
– Oh! Sis, isn’t that a man over there, by any chance? – Ji Soo, who was arguing excitedly about something, was surprised and pointed her finger forward.
– Yes, that’s right,” replied Lee Soo Hwi with a gloomy expression. – He quickly figured out that it was possible to use a cloaking skill.
Kim Ji Soo, pretending that she didn’t see anything, answered evasively:
– Now there’s no other option but to bypass him.
– Uh-oh! He seems to have come here all by himself. Maybe he lost his comrades? – Ji Soo thought to herself with her head tilted sideways.
– I don’t think so. He doesn’t have any wounds on his body. Apparently he’s using some sort of concealment skill, too – that’s how he got in here.
– Oh, yeah, probably. But why would he come here? – Ji Soo muttered in surprise.
– I was wondering the same thing.
– And why is he alone?
The tension was building. Even though this dungeon was low level, it was still a dungeon.
– Crazy,” Lee Soo Hwi concluded as she looked over the cheap weapons and armor.
The Player’s armor bore the manufacturer’s mark, so the girl decided that the poor guy just didn’t have the money to buy good equipment.
– He was clearly insane.
* * *
Join our discord for updates on releases! http://discord.com/invite/k4CcWXucg9
* * *
And it seemed to be true, for there are many monsters in the depths of the dungeon. But it wasn’t like he was just a member of the group. The point is, if they talk about a large number of monsters, that means it’s hard to deal with just one. Although if, by someone else’s mistake, the other rabbits reacted, the group would just be in trouble. At least this dungeon was free.
– Yeah, that jerk seems awfully selfish.
If he came here alone and not as part of a party, he’s stronger than the other players.
– He looks like a suicide bastard!
No doubt this guy is using the stealth skill.
– He’s going to get himself killed…
The player is definitely going to suddenly attack one of the horned rabbits. The problem is that players with such cheap equipment, even if they use surprise attack, won’t be able to slit the throat of a horned rabbit in one go. The monster will definitely fight back and that newcomer will only die.
– Ugh, it’s a good thing this doesn’t affect me.
And the expected happened.
– Which was to be proved.
The man carefully approached the horned rabbit from the rear and thrust his sword, which emitted weak magic, into it.
– He wouldn’t be able to kill it with a single blow!
Even though it’s a low-level monster, it would take thirty times to make the rabbit give up the spirit.
There were sounds of fighting coming from outside.
– What?” wondered Lee Soo Hwi. – What the hell?!
The horned rabbit dropped dead from a single blow.
– Easy,” I muttered as I plunged my sword into the rabbit’s heart.
But still, after the first bout, my body shook with small shivers. In fact, that sword didn’t cut through flesh and bone as well as I would have liked. And even though it was a monster, my heart raced at the thought of killing a living thing. It was my first time, well, unless you count mosquitoes and flies, of course.
– Yeah, I couldn’t help it,” I said to the corpse of the rabbit. – I had to get some experience for my father, my mother, and my older sister.
It was hard for me to breathe, even harder to walk. But I tried to pull myself together. I thought I was going to bleed streams of blood from my nose and let out all the food I’d eaten. But I held it together.
– Damn it,” I cursed.
The monster’s body hadn’t been transformed in any way. The stones come from the magic left in the bodies of the dead, and if the corpse hadn’t changed in any way, you couldn’t get a stone.
In fact, I didn’t think I’d be able to get it the first time. Because monster corpses don’t usually change shape, you can’t count on getting stones.
My body was enveloped in darkness again, after which I immediately headed for another rabbit.
“Sudden attack,” and I engaged my skill again.
Another rabbit dropped dead. With a fleeting glance at the defeated monster, I reactivated my stealth skill. From then on, everything went like clockwork. The same actions. Nothing more.
***Lee Soo Hwi’s jaw almost dropped in surprise. This was the first time she had seen a rookie kill these monsters so easily.
– Is he really a rookie? – She blurted out.
If you look at his equipment, he was definitely a rookie. Although even a Player who could take down a rabbit with a single blow wouldn’t get any experience points. Level 20 Rule. To describe the rule in a few words, only when hunting monsters that are higher than the Player in level can you get experience points, stones and items.
However, if the monster is twenty levels or more below you, you get nothing. But there’s more to it than that. The greater the level difference between the monster and the hunter, the less often the bodies of monsters are transformed into stones or objects. And if the difference is more than twenty levels, you won’t get anything during the hunt.
Unless it’s a beginner, there’s no reason for him to spend two hundred thousand won on equipment and kill horned rabbits. Just then, Lee Soo Hwi heard the quiet muttering of that kid:
– It can’t be helped. I have to beat out experience.
– This is his first hunt,” said the girl curiously.
– Sis, who is that man? – Kim Ji Soo asked.
– Who knows… I wonder now.
– Sis, can we follow him a little longer?
– Why not?
– Anyway, I don’t have to do anything to get out of the dungeon.
In fact, all the girl could think about was getting home, taking a shower, and sitting down to watch doramas or entertainment on TV. But right now, something more interesting was unfolding before Lee Soo Hwi’s eyes than doramas and entertainment.
***I had no idea that someone was watching me during the hunt, just when I was using stealth and surprise attack skills. In any case, everything went quickly and smoothly, because my magic and willpower stats were equal to thirty. When you use two simple skills at the same time, as you move from rabbit to rabbit, the level of used magic is restored.
– Pebbles, come out, I’m waiting for you!
I already got a few. Only five, though.
– By the way, how hard would it be to level up that way?
Looking at the status window, I was amazed at what I saw. Still level one.
– Of course, I’ve heard that it’s hard to level up,” I muttered, “but I didn’t think it would be that hard.
Then again, I was hunting alone, not in a group. In other words, all the experience points I gained would belong to me alone. True, it takes about five minutes for a pack of nine to take down a rabbit. For me, it only takes one second. Even so, I’m still at level one.
– Yes, it would be nice to earn experience points, as in the game.
But it’s not like that. Although the Awakening System window was like the games, in reality they were very different. In fact, for Players, it wasn’t exactly convenient.
– I think I could be done in an hour.
I recovered my mana and went back into battle. An hour had passed. Still level one. Two hours later, I opened the status window again.
[Name: Choi Hyun Seong
Strength – 70;
Dexterity – 70;
Endurance – 70;
Magic – 30;
Willpower – 30.
Special Skills: Trade
Active Skills: Healing (low), Fireball (low), Provocation (low), Magic Missile (low), Shield (low), Ambush (low), Stealth (low)
Passive Skills: Strong Body (low), Endurance (low), Three Afflictions (low), Sword Art (low), Elemental Magic (low)]
– It’s kind of weird…
And incomprehensible. Certainly, it’s difficult to level up, but apparently the first level was some kind of exception. After two or three days of hunting the level of beginners usually increases. The number of rabbits I killed was enough to raise the level of all the members of the group. But my level still hadn’t budged. At that moment, a hypothesis occurred to me.